Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wrong Baby?

As I was getting ready for work, half-listening to the radio, I heard the DJ ask people to call in and guess the number of babies that a hospital has given to the wrong mother on a daily basis. Now I didn't get to hear the actual number, nor do I really want to know, but it reminded me of my own story 26 years ago when I was given to the wrong mother at the hospital where I was born....

My mom delivered via c-section on April 30th to a GIRL (me). Coincidentally, my mom's best friend's sister-in-law (Tammy) delivered a baby BOY (Mark Shannon) on April 29th and they happened to be sharing a room. At some point, both babies were brought into the room and the cart that I was in was rolled over to Tammy. My mom said she never noticed because she was just admiring the baby in her arms, kissing and hugging it. Tammy caught on much quicker because she said, "that's my baby". My mom said no it isn't, this is MY baby....sure enough though, Tammy was right and my mom was holding Mark and Tammy was holding me.

Mark and I grew up together in school and we were the flower girl/ring bearer in my aunt's wedding later on. Thank goodness we weren't both girls.... I can't imagine what would have happened if I would have been sent home to the wrong family.

No comments: