Monday, July 19, 2010

Reading is FUNdamental



Alexis turned 6 years old on June 18th. My sister took this picture the next day on her way to Schlitterbahn. She is obviously the most gorgeous child in the world but on top of that, she's smart! I mean really smart...I think maybe she gets it from Aunt Coco?

Doesn't matter really who she gets her love of reading from, the point is she loves to read! As in, the kid reads everything she can get her hands on these days. She just finished Kindergarten in May but she's already reading on a later First grade level. Isn't that wonderful?

I bought her 12 books ranging in levels 1-3 for her birthday and she had almost all of them finished within 1 week of her birthday. I am really impressed and so proud of her. Reading is so important and truly lays the foundation for so many other things in life. I see so many teenagers and young adults that really struggle with reading comprehension and spelling. It makes me really sad. I hope Alexis continues to have a passion for reading long after the novelty of learning to read wears off!!

No comments: