Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Being a "Grown-Up"

What exactly determines when you are an official grown-up? In some cultures, it is your specific age...but does the age matter as much as the mindset of the person at that age?

I've thought about this question so much in the past 6 or 7 years and I seem to never have the answer entirely. At 26 years old, I still think "wow, this is such a grown-up thing to do" when I pay my rent, make dentist appointments, or grocery shop. It doesn't even have to be very specific to finances either, just simply putting gas in my car reminds me that I'm a "grown-up". I thought for sure I would feel grown up when I graduated High School....but I didn't. Then I thought I would feel grown up after I moved out...but I didn't. Okay, so for sure I would feel grown up after I graduated college...but I didn't. I'm engaged now with the wedding only 3 months away and I thought that for sure during this rite of passage (planning a wedding, starting a new life as someone's wife, etc) I would feel more grown up...but I don't.

Sometimes it just hits me that I'm technically a grown adult woman living my life and making my own decisions. But when did that happen? The thought is so startling somedays it's beyond how much of a DUH moment it is....like being ran over by a bus...I know, DUH you were bound to grow up eventually right?

Growing up, I was never in denial that being an adult was glamorous and very exciting. I knew that it was about the everyday mundane tasks and being responsible for your life choices. I knew that it was a lot of work and required sacrifices that are not always easy or least of all fun. Still, I guess at some point I just assumed that I would feel like a grown-up. But I really don't....most days I still feel like I'm in High School just goofing around. I guess that's what is meant when you hear that being in your 20's is about "finding yourself".

Truthfully, I guess part of being an adult is just faking it until you make it and pray that you are getting it right at least part of the time. At least that's MY plan....

2 comments:

Trix in the Stix said...

Well Crystal... I'm 38 and still don't consider myself a "grown up". Yes technically I do all the grown up things... but my frame of mind... I refuse to grow up!!

It's way better to stay young at heart if you ask me!

GLM said...

I think being a "grown-up" is overrated, and I'm not sure it really applies anymore. Being grown up implies permanent and unwavering assumption of responsibility at the expense of one's own youth. The world is too fluid a place now for that to be possible, even if someone wanted to, and Heaven knows there are throngs of "adults" who are far more irresponsible than some teenagers now. I think you're right about faking it -- although, it's not so much faking it, as making it up as you go along -- "winging" it.

And ha, I guess I failed miserably at "finding myself" in my 20's. I thought I found myself for a while in my 30's, but I'm starting to think that was just a doppelganger, so I'm considering sending out a search party. On the other hand, maybe I'll just follow my cat's example and show up when I hear the can opener.

By the way, pondering concepts like being grown-up will make your eye twitch. LOL