Monday, September 29, 2008

Religion & Politics

I used to hear that in mixed company you don't discuss religion or politics. I guess those just weren't polite conversations to have with people that you didn't know well. At any rate, I didn't really understand until I got older and then....WHAM!!! I finally had a truly shocking conversation with a dear friend that was beyond bewildering about Republicans and Democrats. She was beside herself that I leaned towards more Republican tendencies than Democratic. This was the beginning of my pea brain understanding why you don't (normally) discuss such topics with other people.

On the other hand, as I "grow up", I realize that religion and politics are not always the only off limit topics. It varies from person to person, but I've had enlightening conversations about marriage, child-rearing, finances, and careers that I don't care to ever experience again. Truly, I suppose that some people will argue that in most situations any topic can be discussed if people are open-minded, respectful and empathetic to the opinions of others. However, the only thing I would argue is that discussions of like are better left to real friends. :)

1 comment:

GLM said...

I thought it was alcohol and politics don't mix (because for some reason, discussions of political preference do seem to always get heated). When discussion is unavoidable, here is a quote I find helpful in keeping an open-mind toward the views of others.

"A young man who is not a liberal, has no heart...
...but an old man who is not a conservative, has no mind!" --
Winston Churchill

As for religion, it seems to be unavoidable in discussions these days as well, with so many new or minority sects out to make sure they are recognized and not discriminated against.

Still, some people just enjoy pushing other people's buttons by goading them into uncomfortable conversations.