Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Poultry Festival



This past weekend marked my annual trip to the big town of Center to attend the Poultry Festival. Every year since I was a little kid I can remember going and seeing all the rides light up the town square. I was in awe of all the choice of carnival food. Cotton candy, candied apples, homemade ice cream....you name it, you can buy it.

The festivities start off with a parade and end on Saturday night with an auction for the biggest chicken raised. My cousins both participated in raising chickens competitively this year, but unfortunately, neither of their pen's made it to the final cut.


As I understood it this year, there were 70 pens and only the top 50 make it to auction. Hayleigh (our veteran chicken raiser) placed 51 and her younger brother Daylon, was also after the cut off. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. The competition is extremely tough and tight-lipped about their feed secrets. But, I think everyone learned some valuable information for next year so I'll hope to see them make the sale.

Scott was a newby to the Chicken Fair and probably didn't share my excitement but he had a great time. It's a very nostalgic thing to go to every year and even though I don't live there anymore, it's something that just reminds me of "home".

No comments: